Setting up Encrypted Communication for the First Time
How to set up PGP if you haven't done so before (on any device).
You are using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Log into your GMX Account. In your inbox, click the lock icon next to the "compose" button.
Click Set up Encrypted Communication.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
- During setup, you will be asked to download and install the mailvelope extension. Mailvelope for further information on this addon.
During setup, you will be asked to set a passphrase. This passphrase is needed
to encrypt your private key to prevent abuse if stolen. You will need this
passphrase each time you wish to encrypt or decrypt an e-mail.
- At the end of the setup process, you can create a backup of your key pair. This will not only allow for recovery if you forget your passphrase or lose your key files, but also allow your to use it with other devices such as smartphones, tablets or other computers. See Backup for further information.
- Print your recovery document and store it at a safe place for future reference.